Home History Long & Short Term Care Day to Day Living Daily Activities Physiotherapy Accommodation Testimonials Nursing Home Guide Support Services Gallery Careers Contact Us

History of Maypark House

Maypark House was built in 1783 or 1784 and called after Humphrey May. He gave his name to Mayfield (near Portlaw) and was M.P. for Waterford from 1757 to 1797. Sir James was Collector of the Revenue of the port of Waterford and he was succeeded in that then lucrative and important office by his son Humphrey May on or about November 6th 1811. Sir James May died in Maypark in 1811 and in December 1818, Humphrey May died in France.

Humphrey May had married Jane Grueber in 1784. She survived him but apparently would not continue to reside in Maypark, hence in “Ramsey’s Waterford Chronicle” of February 1819 an advertisement appeared that Maypark was to be let on such terms and for such a period as might be agreed upon or the interest would be sold.

The house was evidently built around the time that Humphrey married Jane Grueber. Humphrey died approximately seven years after the death of his father Sr. James May. Lady May after the death of her husband and father in law obviously decided to move out of Maypark. It is not clear from research whether or not Humphrey of Jane had any family.

Wherever Lady May was moving to, she had no use for her furniture. It is not clear from research whether or not Humphrey and Jane had been living in France at the time of Humphrey’s death. There is no record of a ‘Jane May’ of Waterford to be found after approximately 1820. It would appear that she may have moved away from Waterford after her husband’s death.

It is probable that the Marquis of Waterford bought the place, for in the Waterford Chronicle of 9th June 1827 was an advertisement announcing "the sale of Lady May’s furniture of Maypark....”

Maypark is listed in the occupancy of George Meara Esq in the Slater’s Directory of 1846. The property consisted of house, offices and land with a total area over 46 acres. It was valued at £181.5 shillings. A Thomas Mack Murray was listed as the occupier of the gate house which was valued at £2 5 shillings.

The house appears on the 1840 Ordnance Survey Map with a farm. The area down to the river is identified as a rough area possibly marsh land. Some areas are heavily planted.
In the 1909-1910 Thom’s directory a Mr Herbert Gough G.W J.P is listed as resident at Maypark.

The house was converted to a private hospital sometime after 1910 and before 1938.